Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Creative Non-Fiction

The first assignment for my Creative Writing class is creative non-fiction.

As this is the class that I am doing at home, with my tutor, I am a little behind the times.

So I decided to find out for myself what creative non-fiction is.

I thought I had a pretty good idea, but wanted to be sure. My biggest question is, how much can be embellished, or how much artistic license can I take before it crosses the line into fiction?

And what I found is that no one has really defined that line. Because each piece is different, and each writer will have different ideas about where that line lies.

As best I can figure, creative fiction is very similar to much of my writing here. The posts that are stories, little bits of my life, where I don't write out the cold, hard facts.

They are factual, but also written with regard to creativity.

They tell stories and let you in on my thoughts and secrets, while still being written in an interesting way. A way so that you don't feel like you're getting my life story in bullet points.

No comments: