Friday, January 27, 2012

Quiet

I never thought of myself as a quiet person.

At least not until about a year ago.

I put myself in the category of quieter, but not shy, or introverted.

And maybe that was true, then.

Maybe I was an extrovert.

Life of the party.

I don’t know.

I don’t remember.

But even more, I wasn’t aware.

Now, though, I’m different.

Or maybe just my perception of myself has changed.

I love to talk and giggle with friends.

People I know.

I love to share my opinions in class.

Where it’s expected.

But I’m finding, realizing, that I don’t have much to say to people I don’t know.

I’ve always been bad at chitchat.

It’s not that I’m uncomfortable around people I don’t know.

It’s that I don’t have much to say to them.

(Or is it that I don’t know how to talk to them?)

And that can make things uncomfortable.

Deafening silence usually isn’t a great thing.

Although it can speak volumes.

Now, I think I’d call myself reserved.

I don’t see that as a problem, it just is.

2 comments:

Mark said...

just watched 50/50. it's got to be my favorite movie from last year. i don't know to cry or laugh in almost every scene...

JW Moxie said...

You just described me, word for word.