Tuesday, February 1, 2011

High School Pieces

It's amazing to me that what started out for me as a sort of public journal has evolved into so much more. At the time I started my blog, I was reading one other blog. I don't really remember what I thought having a blog would entail.

Google gave me some tips for writing a blog, I came up with a name I didn't really like (and a URL I'm still stuck with), and off I went. I wrote about my mundane days of doing homework, doctors, and my parents' occasional adventure.

A year and a half later, here I am. I have followers I don't know in person, and even an occasional comment. But most of all I've found a community. One where people don't care what my hair looks like or that I'm not a "normal" kid (did you see the name of the blog?). People read what I'm writing because they want to. It's a pretty awesome feeling to know that there are people out there interested in my writing.

I still have no idea how people find me, but about a month ago I got an email from the editor of High School Pieces. She was wondering if I would be interested in writing for the online magazine for girls she founded and edits.

Time warp ahead a month and I am writing for HS Pieces in addition to Skipping Breakfast. (I started writing for Skipping Breakfast, which is focused on preparing for college, about six months ago.)

I'm pretty busy, between writing for me, writing here, writing about preparing for college, and writing about girl-related topics.

I was feeling slightly crazed for a while, trying to figure out if I could really do all of it. The writing for me is non-negotiable--it keeps me sane and grounded and helps me think. I only wanted to commit to writing for others if it was relevant to me and I could truly give it my best.

I've found a tentative balance, for now. My editors are great and don't send me screaming emails if I'm a little slow. I try to give myself the same space to be human.

Drop by either blog, here or here and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

thats awesome!! Do they need more writers?