Saturday, January 1, 2011

Resolutions

I don't make them. I never write them down.

Part of it is my feeling that this day shouldn't be the one time we promise to be better, to do better.

If there is something so important I need to change about me or my behavior, I should just do it. Not wait until midnight on one day out of the other 364 to commit to changing.

I put pressure on myself. I have high standards. I am hard on myself and expect myself to meet the (sometimes ridiculously) high standards I set. By writing down goals or resolutions, they somehow become real.

(If I made New Year's Resolutions, I might have one about being less harsh on myself, allowing myself to make mistakes, etc, but I don't do resolutions.)

Once they're written down, I have to do them. It's a must.

And then, when I invariably break these resolutions, I am very hard on myself.

It's just not worth it.

So I make them in my head. They are still well thought out plans and goals, but there is less pressure. Without so much pressure, I am more likely to do them. And to give myself a break when I mess up.

But if I could have a New Year's wish instead of a resolution? I would wish for the holidays to never end.

No comments: